Writing a cover letter for a job in a customer service is an excellent idea. This position requires application paper like nothing else.
A good cover letter for a job in a customer service should reveal outstanding skills and reliable personality. Your experience and the ability to communicate are two things that are very important for every HR manager.
A person, who works with people, should meet clear requirements that cover both experience and appropriate personality. Still, it’s not easy to reveal all suitable qualities on the paper.
It’s not enough to write “I manage to find an approach to every client because I’m easy-going and adjust to new tasks fast”. There are hundreds of candidacies and you should stand out.
Luckily for you, our professional cover letter writers know how to do it right. Check out this guideline and learn how to write effective customer service cover letter.
Elements of Customer Service Cover Letter
Of course, cover letter for customer service job has to contain some common elements of the cover letter. Before sending a cover letter, you should check out whether it includes:
- Contact information: name, address, phone number, email address.
- A good greeting contains the name of the company’s representative (for instance, HR manager). If you don’t know who to address, you can choose a standard greeting “To Whom It May Concern”.
- The body paragraph follows the greeting. It contains catchy introduction (brief) and reveals some skills and experience that can positively affect the operation of the company. In this part, you can show that you familiarized with the work, the strategy and the goal of the company and able to provide exactly those qualities that they need. This is also relevant for other types of the cover letter ( e.g. information technology cover letter).
- The next paragraph should focus on the relation between your skills and the needs of the company. Here you can show how you would solve some of the company’s problems.
- The closing paragraph should be brief. “Best regards” is one of the dozens of common variants that would be suitable.
Important Skills for Cover Letter
The list of required skills for the job of the customer service must be targeted. The role of the cover letter lies in not only grabbing the attention of the potential employer. You have to find your special way to emphasize that you understand what this particular recruiter is looking for.
Usually, recruiters look for soft skills first. A good employee of the customer service has to be able to listen and understand what the client wants. He has to be able to think fast and brainstorm working solutions.
Of course, it’s important to mention hard skills such as operation in some programs, working with software, etc.
If you don’t know what skills to include, you should turn to the job description and read what skills are prioritized by the recruiter. Sometimes it happens that the recruiter mentions skills that aren’t even related to the job or a job seeker thinks that they aren’t necessary.
Also, if you care about your LinkedIn presence, make sure to learn how to write and request LinkedIn recommendations too!
Universal Sample of the Cover Letter
Here is a universal example of the entry-level customer service cover letter:
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Cell Phone Number
Dear Hiring Manager/To Whom It May Concern
It can be challenging to find a professional for customer service, who will leave a positive impression from the company. Not every person manages to work with the clients effectively. Even fewer employees are capable of tying the customers up to the company and helping them to make the right choice/solve the problem.
Extensive experience in this field taught me to think fast, a few steps forward. I developed an ability to analyze the situation and take a personalized approach as a basis. Before offering something, I try to understand whether it will fit the needs of the client.
I worked with different clients in different fields in different conditions. Contributing to the image of the company through the high quality of the customer service. It’s the work I enjoy doing and I do it well.
I am a worker, who is ready to work in a team and create a quality efficient customer service.
It would be great if I got an opportunity to come to interview. I hope to hear from you soon.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name.”
It’s a common sample of the customer service cover letter. You might as well add several authentic details to personalize it and make it memorable.
What is more, keep in mind that you have to pay attention to the job description and emphasize those exact qualities your potential recruiter is searching for.